A Future Unknown … Deferred.

August 28, 2010

The last few days have been quite the whirlwind. I don’t really want to get into all the little details, but I thought an update was necessary.

It seems as though the delays last week, regardless of what my Placement Assistant told me, were not because the offices were slammed but rather that I just wasn’t invited to my program. The funny thing is, placement hasn’t really even told me that yet.

Here’s what happened.

Earlier this week I decided to get some voluntary bloodwork done. I stress that it was completely voluntary, nothing wrong with me, totally just for my knowledge. Well, I felt the need to let PC know and my medical assistant freaked out. I woke up the next morning (Friday) to a Hold on my medical. Great.

I called my medical assistant again on Friday and asked what the deal was. I wanted to make sure that if I was receiving an invite soon that the hold wouldn’t affect it. She told me that it definitely wouldn’t affect my invite because I wasn’t getting one. She told me prior to placing the hold she had called placement and they informed them that my current nomination was closed, I wasn’t invited, and I was now being considered for a program next quarter – December through February. She told me she really shouldn’t have told me about it, and that was that.

(Ps. My tests came back normal as expected so the hold will be lifted on Monday).

So, placement has really yet to contact me. This is a bit frustrating to say the least. I think its just as important for those rejected to find out their status as those who were accepted … especially in the education field when we have to sign contracts and such.

But anyway, I’m in a difficult situation. I have been deferred (I’m fine with that, it happens). What I’m not fine with is that I jumped in with both feet and quit my job. I know they tell you not to, but as an educator, I had to pick one or the other. And I picked Peace Corps. And it fell through.

So what does that mean now? I’m in job that pays okay but not nearly enough to continue for another four to six months. Yet, teaching jobs are hard to come by and school starts in a week. What am I going to do? Looks like I have some decisions to make.

What I’m hoping is that Peace Corps finds a place for me and offers it early as an invite. The fact that I have my medical and dental finished and I’ve met all the other clearances means if they find a place for me they should be able to offer it … right?

I guess we’ll see …

Bottom line, I’m disappointed, and I’m questioning my decision to join. I need some stability. I need to be making progress forward in my life. Can I really continue to live month to month as I wait for PC? Or, do I focus on other things to keep moving forward and potentially set aside my goal of serving abroad?

Only time will tell.


5 Responses to “A Future Unknown … Deferred.”

  1. Athena Says:

    Don’t question yourself. Like I said before, your blog is exactly what is happening to me but mine happens a few weeks ahead of yours. I should start a blog so that you will know what is going to happen to you. I, too, do not have a job. My summer gig ended 2 weeks ago. I will have to find something to tide me over until I leave for Peace Corps. A friend asked me if I have seen any spiders. I told her “yes, more than in the recent past.” She told me that it was a sign to be patient. So if you have seen any spiders I will tell you the same. This is a life lesson on perseverance and patience. Take what life has to offer. If you were happy teaching then you never would have given up your contract. See that as a sign for your higher good. Please don’t think that I am being preachy, because I am not religious. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. I may never know what that reason is, but I have to trust that there is one.
    If you’d like to talk more about our similar situations please email me. athenas_peru@yahoo.com
    Take a deep breath and have faith.

  2. Jenna Says:

    Hey, I applied in 2008, and was nominated for mid August. I knew my 6-wk date, and when that date rolled around, I called them at the end of their work day and was told that my nomination placement had just filled up. I was immediately CRUSHED.


    She quickly told me that due to not being able to be placed in my nomination, they put me (and all other applicants in that position) as priorities. This means that since you are “over due” they start immediately looking at other placement options for you that are coming up in the next couple months. A week later they found me a placement, and invited me, in El Salvador.

    I know it is really crushing to hear that you weren’t placed, I’ve been there. But know it doesn’t mean you are “deferred” or out of the running. Depending on the program, the nominate 2-3 people for every 1 spot. That is because so many people drop out during the application process or may need to change regions or countries due to medical, that they have to count on an over-nominated group to reach the amount of people they need. The people that don’t make it into their nomination–it doesn’t mean they didn’t fit it or were “lesser” candidates, its more a a “first come” thing–the order the files get to their desks with complete clearances. Give placement a call. If you don’t have your POs number, like I didn’t at the time, tell the person “The date to be invited for my nomination has passed, and I feel it is very important to speak with my PO to find out about the next steps.”

    I know you’ll have to wait til Monday, but definitely give them a call. In this case, having missed the nomination, a call almost always speeds up their looking at your file. Often they will look at it within the week and start looking for placement options in the next several months. I know I had a medical restriction, and I believe you do too, so sometimes it takes longer because they have to contact the medical staff in the prospective country to make sure they can handle your restriction. But again, don’t worry, because while they are waiting for an answer, they do “pencil your name in” so no one can take that potential spot before they hear back from the country’s medical.

    So…basically–you aren’t out of the game. Call your PO asap on Monday–stress it is important to talk to the PO (if not, make them let you talk to the APO). They will put you as priority and very quickly start looking for upcoming placements. It could be Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March…..but they WILL find you one. I know one couple that was nominated for September that missed their nomination and was early-assigned to a country the following June (Swaziland). In my case, they found me a placement in September (instead of the original August) that was the exact same as my nomination, only a month later–but same work and region. In another friend’s case, they missed the deadline, but found a similar program leaving just a week or two later. The having to wait to the following summer is rare, and it WAS at the time of the biggest influx of apps. Finding a program in the next couple months is most likely. Who knows, you could end up in Jordan, Thailand, Fiji, Guinea, etc!


    • kylenemichele Says:

      Thanks for the post. I appreciate all the details. It definitely helps! I know they will probably find me a place, and I know that even with my medical accommodation there are places I am able to go and the fact that I’m completely cleared means I’d have priority over any new people getting nominations … it’s just hard to come to terms with this additional delay. I know most people take a much longer time to get moving, I just wasn’t prepared and make some huge changes in my career. I just need to come to terms with it … and I’m sure I will soon!

      Thanks again. I do appreciate the help!

  3. K.A.W. Says:


    I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve been deferred and the fact that they didn’t tell you at all. You know, my initial response was to say wait for them, but after thinking about it, these invites are not really guaranteed. Because of how far you’ve come, I really hope you receive an invite soon. When you finally hear back from placement, are you going to ask them what the deal was in detail? Please keep us updated, and I wish you the best in whichever decision you make.

  4. Chris Says:

    Hang in there Kylene!

    It will be worth it.

    I know just how you feel. I too had to forgo a teaching contract this year in favor of a possible PC assignment.

    You are about 4 months ahead of me in the PC process, and I really enjoy reading your blog. You write with a lot of heart. Your blog gives me hope!

    I am sure you will be on your way before you know it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: