Medical Updates – ALL POSITIVE!!!
June 21, 2010
**Word of Warning: For those few males who follow my blog and don’t want to read about my recent doctor visits, this post is not for you🙂
Okay, so I have some great updates when it comes to medical! I have been stressing out the last few weeks about so many things – meeting their quick deadline, my abnormal pap results, my previous anxiety, what I’m going to do if I dont’ leave in October, etc. Through the course of all of that though, I’ve been truckin’ along on my medical appointments and paperwork and today brought along some really great progress.
1) Timeline – I’ve missed their deadline … they wanted paperwork back today and there was no freakin’ way that was happening … so I’m just going at my own pace. I sent an email a few weeks ago about my concern for meeting the deadline and they said technically I had until middle of July to still be considered for my October nomination … so no worries, I’m getting there!
2) Dental – I think I already posted on that … dental is done and no major problems so that’s ready to send.
3) Eye Doctor – I posted about my frustration that my eye doctor didn’t fill in my frame measurements … he basically told me that section was impossible to know the numbers for. Today I went to a neighboring eye clinic. They took my glasses, wrote down the numbers from on the inside, and I was done in 30 seconds. Done with that portion … and needless to say I’m switching eye doctors🙂
4) Abnormal Paps – This is the exciting part! I had an appointment with an actual gyno today to have her fill out the paperwork requested from PC because of my abnormal paps (I usually have my work done through my general doctor). This was the best appointment ever!
First, she gave me tons of information that my general doctor had never given me about my condition (abnormal pap, AS-CUS cells, HPV positive). She informed me of the spectrum of abnormalities, wehre I fall, what treatment options are and who they usually advice them for, etc. So much info I wish I had last year.
Anyway, she basically told me that I’m the lowest grade there is. She said on the abnormal spectrum I’m only on the first step and the only reason they originally did a colposcopy is because I’m HPV positive. The colposcopy results are also the lowest grade there is, which means I pretty much have no risk of it turning into anything …
The great part about that is that she is going to recommend that I only need a 12 months HPV screening … which means my original check up plan of every 6 months isn’t necessary. She is going to say that as long as I can get an HPV test to make sure it’s gone (which she assumes it will be a year from now) then I’m good to go and don’t need anything else. She did a second colposcopy today to verify my condition, but she says everything looks like I’m on the track to recovery …
She also said that even if I get a positive HPV result at my year check up during PC, I still wouldn’t be required to get treatment because of where I stand on the spectrum. She said I’d be able to go another year before another HPV test … so really, I should be good to go.
So, I’m hoping PC will look at that as an abnormal that requires no treatment and clear me as good to serve! I don’t see why they wouldn’t, aside from the fact that they are sticklers and take no chances😦 even though PC could still put a medical hold, I’m feeling much more optimistic than I was the last few weeks!
5) Physical – I have my last appointment scheduled with my doc on Wednesday to finish up the physical paperwork … I need one more piece of blood work for chicken pox but other than that I should have that on Wednesday.
6) Therapist – I’m seeing my therapist on Thursday morning for a final eval and for her to fill out my paperwork. I haven’t seen her in five years so hopefully it’ll be a quick appointment though I think she’s doing a full new eval to ensure I’m not still dealing with my anxiety … however, I have no issues currently (and haven’t for years) so that should be good too.
Longgggg story short, once I get my final results from the colposcopy early next week I’ll be good to go sending in my medical packet … and then I’ll be crossing my fingers!
Final note, in prepping myself for a medical hold and the potential to not leave in October, I kinda got used to having a few more months here … now I have to change that mindset again now that there’s a potential it really will work out! Oye … the ups and downs of the app process are wearing me out!